This is the first major update to Tangle List in over a year. The priority was getting the List of Official Zentangle Patterns fully up-to-date; five new tangle patterns were released since the last update, plus new Youtube tutorials and step-outs for older tangles. There’s a lot to cover.
I’ll be honest—I haven’t followed much Zentangle® news or social media for the past year-and-a-half. Between life circumstances and the trainwreck that was 2020, my heart just wasn’t into it. So if I’ve missed any important developments or “must-see” content, I apologize. Feel free to add links in the comments or email me if you feel there’s something that should be added to one of the many lists here.
Added the following links to List of Official Zentangle Patterns with Step-Outs & Youtube Tutorials:
New Tangle – Hollis
New Tangle – Moonpie
New Tangle – Narfello
New Tangle – Therefore
- No step-outs for the Therefore tangle currently exist.
- Youtube Therefore Tutorial 1
- Youtube Therefore Tutorial 2
New Tangle – Three & Three
Added the following tangle pattern step-outs and Youtube tutorials:
- STEP-OUT: Festune Tangle
- Floo Youtube Tutorial 1
- Floo Youtube Tutorial 2
- Ibex Youtube Tutorial
- Sampson Youtube Tutorial
- Springkle Youtube Tutorial 1
- Springkle Youtube Tutorial 2
- Twing Youtube Tutorial
Added the following tangle pattern variations:
- Bronx Spears Variation (Video)
- Crescent Moon and Then Some – The ‘Moons’
- Crescent Moon and Then Some – Lines and Centers
- Feathered Fescu Variation (Video)
- Floo-ish Variation (Video)
- Meer and Then Some Variations
- Shattuck and Then Some Variations
- Strircles and Then Some Variations
- W2 and Then Some Variations
Added the following tangle art challenge to the List of Zentangle Art Challenges & Creative Prompts:
#ToYouTangle2021 – 16 Zentangle® creative prompts to be completed on every odd-numbered day of June 2021. Follow along in the #ToYouTangle2021 Facebook Group (linked above) or use the #ToYouTangle2021 hashtag on other social media. The creative prompts can be accessed from a free .pdf eBook in the Facebook group. It’s a well-done eBook, and these prompts are great for any time of the year. I highly recommend saving this .pdf and keeping it around for whenever you need a creative boost.
Note: This Zentangle art challenge is being run by Japanese CZTs, and they’ve generously provided English translations of their 37-page challenge prompt eBook and Facebook posts. The challenge is open to everyone worldwide, and there are plenty of English speakers participating in the Facebook group.
Added the following tangle strings and templates to the Zentangle Strings – Free Strings & Advice for Drawing Your Own:
- Mandala Templates – 52 templates
- Celtic Knot Templates – 7 templates
- Draw a labyrinth. Fill with tangles.
- Create a string from quick contour drawings of household objects. Not as intimidating as it sounds!
- Today’s Tangles: Keeping it Classic Strings & Prompts (Requires access to the Today’s Tangles: Keeping It Classic Facebook Group)
Added the following fragments to the Zentangle Reticula & Fragments List:
- Mandala Fragments (Instagram) — Here’s a screenshot of the Mandala Fragments if you can’t access Instagram.
Added the following fragments to the Enhance Your Tangles with these Free Zentangle Tutorials & Youtube Videos:
Added the following tangle patterns to the Random Tangle Generator:
- Moon Pie
- Three & Three
Added the following Facebook Groups to the List of Zentangle Facebook Groups:
- 7F5R Challenge – Tangle Art Challenges
- Square One Purely Zentangle – “Classic” Zentangle art only (white tiles and black ink) + a weekly challenge.
- Tangle-A-Day Calendar Share – A place to share Tangle-A-Day Calendar art.
- Zenbeez – A general interest Zentangle group.
Miscellaneous Links — Here are a few good links that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed and wanted to share with Tangle List readers.
Cadent Heart – A fun way to use the Cadent tangle pattern on a heart-shaped string.
Pencil Shading Techniques – A free printable worksheet of shading exercises. This is a general art lesson, and not specific to Zentangle.
Draw an Underwaterview (Video) – This is a fun idea from Ria Matheussen, CZT where you draw a tile with an underwater theme.